This chapter is fairly interesting although it does pack a lot of new information into a small space. I think that this book is probably difficult to understand at times just because nearly all of the information is new to us (and we are just worthless linear writers after all). However, I think that the gist of this chapter is that a script is just a completely detailed print version of what your interactive multimedia project is going to be. And based on Garrand's examples, I would say that a script for a multimedia project is still a script. I think that that is the point that Mr. Garrand is trying to make in putting in his little plug on pp. 70-71.
The complexity of the project, however, determines the complexity of the project's script. While some multimedia scripts may not be much more complex than the linear script, others require scripting for live people in addition to the multimedia demands. Thus scripts can range from one column to six.
One other thing--I have to point out the author's use of "insure" on pg. 64. His editors, if he had any, apparently didn't ensure that he used the correct words in his text.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I noticed the "insure" usage also. Funny! I agree that the reason we struggle with some of the meaning is that we are unfamiliar with it. I'm sure professional script writers would say the textbook is too basic. I'm just glad we're creating uncomplicated websites so we can use the single column format. :)
ReplyDeleteI completely agree, with both of you on the usage factor. I am someone who needs to actually do and see in order to learn, especially something so foreign and seemingly complex. My website design is very basic, but I hope I learn a lot by going through the process.
ReplyDeletegood blog, ronnie!
ReplyDeletewhere are the technical editors for WIM's manuscript? seriously, makes you wonder as Elsevier's supposed to have a solid reputation in the academic world.
rob's response on how professional script writers would've thought the chapter to be a basic intro to script-writing is spot on, too. a bit complicated for us, yes, as i personally have not incorporated narratives in my own e-portfolio as i presented information [though some of the scripts, esp. with voice-overs, might work well in an informational site with a documentary component].
like jamie, i also learn by going through the process. google sites is a free, plain and basic web design where you simply choose the templates and the format that has been already pre-arranged for you. yes, this may not really reflect some of your exciting and sophisticated plans in your writing assignments, BUT that's totally fine. i won't really expect FULL execution of your plan using google sites for our web project.
wix.com is another free, template-ready option. much more sophisticated, though, as it has flash animations on it. am glad ronnie started playing with it right after i mentioned it in class.
as we proceed with the chapter readings for sample informational websites, choose to retain only the interactive writing principles valuable to you, your upcoming project, and maybe some future projects in the real world. of course, we want to read all of these sample projects/case studies - wrong usage, grammar faults, and all - if only to sift some of these important nuggets of information. =)