Monday, January 18, 2010

Interactivity and the Writer

In order to be considered interactive multimedia, according to the chapter, media have to fulfill several requirements. Besides video games, the interactive medium of the past with which I am familiar is "choose your own adventure" books. They more fully involve the reader in the story by allowing them to actively participate in the outcome by making decisions along the way. Interactive multimedia, to one degree or another, combines this audience participation with various forms of media. In that way, it has come closer to matching the interactive experience that we enjoy from a simple conversation. In other words, technology is finally reaching the level that it can match and complement human capabilities.
I appreciate the fact that the author mentions that these media will probably never replace traditional, linear media. For entertainment value and to feel that I'm more of a part of the experience, video games are great, but if I just want to veg. or lose myself in a good book, nothing beats a novel or movie.

2 comments:

  1. I'm also glad the author mentioned that interactive media will never replace linear media. I love to watch movies or read a good short story, but I would never play an interactive video game. To me, such games are a waste of time. I guess much of the information I access via the internet qualifies as interactive per the author's definition, but to me there is a big difference between clicking on file folder tabs to access information and playing "Grand Theft Auto."

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi ronnie,

    i missed your entry for week 3. hope to hear your voice this week.

    ReplyDelete